Using nvsniffer to differentiate between NT WS and NT Server

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Using nvsniffer to differentiate between NT WS and NT Server
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:47:49 -0500
Does anyone know a fairly reliable way to differentiate between NT WS
and Server (maybe even Win 9x, as well) from port scanning
(nvsniffer)?

This is of course assuming that the nodes in question ARE NOT running
SNMP.

So far, I figure I can spot PDC and BDC, but this still doesn't help
with non-domain controller, NT Servers.    Someone I work with has
suggested the Netbios locator service.   I'm looking into it now.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Chris