Re: Netmon detection

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netmon detection
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:21:11 -0600
Wolfgang Bergbauer wrote:

> Hi to all NV-L members,
>
> I have a problem with detecting one router. The problem is, I deleted the
> router because of many detection failures,
> and wanted Netview to redetect it automatically. The router is with his
> cirquitless IP-Adress in the seedfile, and is on
> the same subnet as the Netview Station. Even after pinging many IP-Adresses
> of the router to help Netview, the router
> is not in the IP-Topo Database.

> What can I do to make Netview find this machine. It is very importent
> because 32 Interfaces are connected to this Router.

Is it in NetViews object database?  (ovobjprint will tell you).
You may also want to try ovtopodump on each IP address of the routers
interface.
If you see any object for the router, look for the object ID in the netview
database (it will be in the output of the ovtopodump).  If it's in the object
database look at the "Maps Exists" count for the object.  If it is non-aero,
then netview thinks it is in at least one map.  The name of the map(s) will be
displayed as fart of a field definition in the ovobjprint -o <object ID>.
Look for the field that has "IP Symbol List" in it's name for the object.  It
will be preceeded by the name of the map.  (if it was in the map called
"default" you will see a field called "default IP Symbol List" in the
information for the object).  If it is not in any map, try running ovtopofix
-A.  That should remove it, and then you can add it.

If that doesn't help, try this:
Stop all maps, stop the daemons.
    . /etc/Tivoli/setup_env.sh
    ovstart -v ovwdb
    ovmapcount -a
    ovw -fields
    ovstart -v ovtopmd
    ovtopofix -A

Start everything back up again, and try discovering the router again.

That should do it, but if that doesn't work,  you're going to need to do some
debugging.  (You may want to contact support at this point).   I would try
turning on the -l flag of netmon (manage devices added by loadhosts), and
setting the netmon debug flag to -1.  Wait until daily checks are done (tail
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace until you no longer see lots of "op = DAILY"
messages).
Then use loadhosts to add your router:
print "<IP address> <routername>" | loadhosts -a
Then look at the netmon.trace file for hints about why netmon is not adding
the router. It could be an address already exists or something...

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management