X-Server crashes traversing NetView topology

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: X-Server crashes traversing NetView topology
From: Abdur Rehman I Mamsa <aimamsa@NOTES.WEST.RAYTHEON.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:36:55 -0800
Recently, we've been receiving the following errors from our X-Client processes:
     XIO:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ":0.0" after # requests
(# known processed) with 0 events remaining.
     The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.

The entire X-Server crashes. In some instances, we receive the following errors
on the screen after the X-Server shutdown:
     Garbage collection failed.
     1356-815/usr/bin/x11/xinit: connection to x server lost

The "1356-815/usr/bin/x11/xinit: connection to x server lost" error is specific
to the X-Server. We've researched the AIX/X documentation and found that this
error code (815) is a display related, floating-point error.

This problem only seems to occur when a user attempts to open submaps and
"drill-down" through our NetView topology map. We are using NetView ver 4.1 for
AIX ver 4.2.1 and would appreciate any suggestions. So far, we've been told by
IBM that it may be a paging/swap space problem.

(This message was previously posted, with no responses.)

Thank you.
-AR