Re: Remove Object from Database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Remove Object from Database
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:36:52 -0500
For all intents and purposes there is no such command.
Remember that NetView has 3 databases: object, topology, and map, and you should
never try to remove an object from just one, or you may have to wipe out your
databases and start over.  Do a backup first or you may be sorry.
You are supposed to delete objects from the GUI and then run ovtopofix (-a or
-A) afterward to remove them.

There is an undocumented command to remove an object from the object database,
but it should never be used until you have tried all other means to remove the
object, because it will rip it out and not care about its links and almost
certainly corrupt  your databases if you have not removed the object from the
map and topology first.   Since it has been published here before, I will tell
you the command before someone else does, but I don't recommend that you use it,
except as a last resort: ovwdbdmap -d  <object_id> , but if you get into trouble
with it, don't say I didn't warn you, and don't be surprised if you have to wipe
out your databases and start over.  That's why you take a backup first.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Phat D Doan <pddoan@REGENCE.COM> on 11/19/99 04:44:03 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>