Re: Proprietary MIB Traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Proprietary MIB Traps
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:56:33 -0500
Trap definitions do not get added automatically in NetView.  You can use
mib2trap against a MIB containing trap definitions and it will build an addtrap
script you can use to add definitions of traps to trapd.conf.  Or you can do it
yourself with xnmtrap.
And you may want to use xnmtrap after you have added your definitions because
the defaults provided by most vendors are minimal and often need modification to
be truly valuable.

If you miss defining a trap, it is no big deal.  You will get a message in the
trapd.log and on the event window which says "NO FMT FOUND" for that trap, and
it will list the enterprise id, the generic and specific ids, and all the
variables, so you can easily use that information to define that trap for the
next time.

There is a whole section on defining traps in the NetView Admin Guide.  That
should be available on-line if you installed the books.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Clay David (rti1dwc)" <rti1dwc@ISMD.UPS.COM> on 11/30/99 07:54:20 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>