Re: Objects showing up multiple times

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Objects showing up multiple times
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:49:05 -0500
Scott -

Are you sure you have the terminology right here?  A map consists of a big bunch
of views or submaps as they are called.
To see how many maps you have use the command ovwls.  Unless you specifically
created copies using the GUI, you will have one map, called "default".    When
you cut and paste on  a map, you cut from just the submap you have open and
paste to another one.  If you really do have multiple maps, then you must
customize each one with cut-and-paste individually.
Cutting from all submaps is really just a way to delete a set of symbols because
it is not useful to then try an paste them somewhere else.   As Leslie Clark is
fond of saying, the rule is that you "cut from this submap, and delete from all
submaps."
I hope this is clear.

You might want to review the material on maps and symbols in Chapter 3 of the
Admin Guide, and be sure to observe the cut and paste restrictions in "Moving
Objects and Symbols"   (page 3-43 in the hard copy or just search the on-line
books).
And I would recommend that you make a backup copy of /usr/OV/databases/openview
before you do this sort of thing in
case you mess it up.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support