Re: Filters / Rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Filters / Rulesets
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:29:07 -0500
John -

Most people want their paging and emails to be independent of whether or not the
GUI is up.  So they tend to have those things done either by rulesets designed
just for that purpose and run in the background, or else have them run in
scripts kicked off from automatic actions in trapd.conf.   Either way, what the
operators are doing with the GUI does not matter.  As long as the proper daemons
are up, the actions happen.

To run a ruleset in the background you put its name in the
/usr/OV/conf/ESE.automation file, which is  then read by actionsvr on start up.
He  registers them with nvcorrd, just as users register rulesets when they open
a dynamic workspace.   The only thing to be careful of that the rulesets need to
be designed to be run by a daemon, which does not have a console.  Since he
cannot display events, the ruleset should not contain elements which require a
display such as the Forward, Resolve, or Override nodes, and the Initial Event
Stream node should be set to "Block" the sending of events to the display,
otherwise the event subsystem will slow and eventually hang.

Any filters used in V3 (and that was the only way to keep things off the display
in V3 unless the trap were configured to be "Log Only") will still work in V5.1
and later.   And any scripts run as automatic actions should still work too if
you have some of those.  Did you migrate your trapd.conf or start with a fresh
one?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

John Mayeur <jmayeur@FRUIT.COM> on 12/07/99 03:37:42 PM