Re: Netview and NAT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview and NAT
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 23:52:15 -0500
Unmanaged interfaces don't get re-managed by themselves (or rediscovered,
as you put it). A person has to re-manage them. That's why you hide them
(and
their networks) from all submaps.  A demandpoll will not do anything with
an
unmanaged interface. Yes, new ones will show up over time - lots of them,
maybe,
but it is a finite number. Once you have them all unmanaged and hidden, it
should
be easy to keep them that way. Putting them in a collection makes it easier
to re-
unmanage them should someone bring them out of hiding, or if you should
delete
and rediscover the router.

Anybody else having any success dealing with NAT?

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Leslie Clark wrote:

|Subject: Re: Netview and NAT
|
|Not a comprehensive answer, but some clues, maybe....
|
|You will end up with an array of interfaces on the gateway router that you
|cannot ping,and the matching set of red subnets.  There will be a finite
|number of these interfaces,and if you delete them they will come back.
|All I have been able to figure out to to with them is to unmanage and hide
|them. Usually I can define a collection of those interfaces to remind the
|customer which ones to keep unmanaged and hidden.

But even, if you unmanage them, they will be rediscoverd on a demand
poll. I'm fighting against a managed dial-in router. Every day we have to
unmanage new RED interfaces and after a few days we start this procedure
from the beginning. We don't know how to keep this router managed with all
known interfaces unmanaged for a long time. We've tried to change the poll
interval with no success. Any ideas how to handle such a beast?

Kind Regards
Guenter