NetView 5.1.2 Ping Utility

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView 5.1.2 Ping Utility
From: Ken Karasek <KGKARASE@HEWITT.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:34:36 -0600
I have just recently upgraded from NV v4.1.2 to NV v5.1.2.  I have
discovered that the ping utility that is supplied with NV now only allows
for a single ping.  No options, no choice. WHY??

 I have used this utility in the past to discover nodes that were in my
seed file that netmon did not place on the maps. As long as I could ping
the node from an xterm window, I was assured that by using the ping utility
(from 4.x), that NV would place the node in the map after a number a pings
were sent. It appears I do not have that luxury any more. Why would any one
want limit the utility to just a single ping? Especially when the user is
locked in by the app and not even allowed to make adjustments to fit their
requirements. Seems short-sighted to me whoever made this decision. At
least some one in development could have allowed a configuration change in
an /app-defaults/ping  file. What about monitoring response times from
pings? Can't use the GUI for that anymore.

Enough soap box. Is there a workaround? Or I am left with submitting an
enhancement request to Tivoli to restore ping's previous functionality?