Re: Adding An Object

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Adding An Object
From: Anne Schahfer <Anne.Schahfer@TRW.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:04:07 -0800
I believe I have been having the same problem Dave has and I believe I followed
Leslie's directions but I still cannot get NetView to draw the picture
correctly.

1. On the segment map, I changed the icon representing a router from a computer
to a gateway.
2. On the network map, I added a gateway symbol. It appears blue on the network
map but NetView automatically drew a connection between the gateway icon and
the segment icon where it placed the router (mentioned in #1).
3. When I drill down on the blue (unknown) gateway symbol (on the network map),
there is an IP  card, created by NetView, which is green.
4. When I look at the segment map that contains the router NetView actually
discovered as a host (mentioned in #1),
the symbol NetView discovered as a host is now blue (unknown) but when I drill
down on that object, its underlying IP card is still green.  NetView also added
another gateway icon which is also blue (unknown) and it also has an underlying
IP card that is green.

I thought once a vertex (I think the IP cards are vertexes) is known to
NetView, its status would propagate up to the parent node.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Anne
>>> Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> - 12/9/99 8:04 PM >>>
If you set up name resolution so that all interface addresses for this
device
resolve to the same name, then Netview will draw it as a router on its own.

When you add a node, you should be selecting the class 'connector' ( a
blank
diamond), then the gateway symbol (router, with compass points), enter the
hostname and then select IPmap properties. It will have filled in the
address
that goes with that name; correct the mask if necessary. You will have to
go
the the submap under the created node and add the other interface(s).

But you can avoid this by just setting up the names. Netview will trust you
and draw a router.

Detroit

How does one add an object to the network map that will represent a gateway
that has two interfaces. I get as far as the gateway object but I don't
seem
to see a way to add the interfaces for this router device. Since my routers
don't support snmp, netview thinks it is a computer during discovery so I
need to change this and add both interfaces to the object.

Thanks,
Dave