Re: device won't manage

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: device won't manage
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 00:03:49 -0500
Only some of what you are seeing is wierd.

The entries in the oid_to_type file:
# what to do with non-snmp nodes at discovery
DEFAULT_IP: : :U
# what to do with unrecognized oids at discovery
DEFAULT_SNMP:  :  :U

To prevent the discovery of non-snmp nodes, put this in
your seedfile:
!@oid 0

It is normal that the interface status does not propogate up to
the node level when the node level is not managed.

It is not normal that the node, discovered unmanaged, does not
go managed on a Manage action.

I've got the following entries in my /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_type

# Only manage SNMP capable nodes at discovery
DEFAULT_IP: : :U

# non-SNMP nodes are not discovered
DEFAULT_SNMP:  :  :U

The comments above those lines show what I think they are supposed to do.
(I
do have the space between each colon).

The problem is that I've got a newly discovered device, which NetView has
the correct community strings for and can snmpget/set and ping from command
line, but when it is discovered, it is unmanaged on the node and at the
interface level. What's real strange is I drill down to the interface card
and manage it and the interface turns green, but come back up to the device
level (one level up) and it still shows up as unmanaged (this device has
only one interface). I try to manage it from device level and it won't
manage it stays wheat (the unmanaged color). I unmanage/manage from device
level and then it turns green and is fine. I've deleted and rediscovered
this device 3 times and had the exact same problem.

I've got new node discovery turned off and am using a seed file to discover
the newly installed device.

I'm running NetView v5.1.1 on AIX 4.2.1 with Tivoli 3.6.1. NetView and
Tivoli are on same box (same TMR or whatever the terminology is). I only
use
Tivoli to install NetView and NetView patches.

Anyways, I'm planning on migrating to NetView 5.1.2 after the first of the
year. I went thru the 5.1.2 release notes and didn't notice this as a
defect
fixed in 5.1.2, so I'm wondering if this problem is unique to me and what
else I can do before calling Tivoli Support.

The connection to this device is currently running slow, that's the
problem.
Looks like snmp is now timing out due to lack of bandwidth.

Oh well, that's the problem, got someone choking my 56Kb access to this
device.

Since I went to the trouble to get this far, I'll foward this email, might
help someone else out!!!

Thanks,
Sean Davidson

Sr. Network Systems Engineer