Re: Map displays IP address instead of host name.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Map displays IP address instead of host name.
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:22:48 -0500
Brad, I have never seen this happen, so we must be doing something
differently. It almost sounds like you are working with a r/o map, but over
a period of months, that is not likely, I guess.  Are you sure ipmap  is
running for the user with the r/w map?

To force a config poll and a map update, all you should have to do is
this: close all maps; ovstop netmon; ovtopofix -a; ovstart; re-open the
default map r/w. Netmon will do a config poll because the ovtopofix
update the times on the objects (even though you say they are current
and correct). The map should synchronize with the database and show
current labels.

You might want to fiddle with which interface the node is discovered by.
If there is more than one, resolve them all, and resolve them all the same
way.  Or ensure that the node is discovered by an interface for which  you
have provided resolution.

Detroit

We upgraded to 5.1.1 on AIX about two months ago.  When we did the upgrade,
we
decided to rediscover the map rather than migrate it.

The problem is that almost 50% of the map labels still contain IP addresses
rather than the host name. If I do a display object, the Selection Name, IP
Hostname, and IP Name all match the name found in the local host file and
DNS.
I know that name resolution works, because I can ping the host name. I have
done
demand polls without errors including verifying the name. In addition, I've
deleted the object and rediscovered it - sometimes getting the correct
label,
sometimes not.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And, is there away to force
NetView to
change the labels without having to delete and rediscover?

Brad Martin
MetLife