Re: Models duplicated

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Models duplicated
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:44:58 -0500
For devices with more than one address, I see this quite a bit when name
resolution is incomplete. This is most prevalent at current maintenance
levels. It finds a router by an unnamed address, then finds it by a named
address, and makes two devices, and when it tries to complete the
discovery by pulling the address table, it complains about duplicate
addresses. You won't have this problem if you are excruciatingly tidy about
name resolution, or if you have no name resolution at all. If you name them
in DNS, make sure the name resolution works in both directions.
If this is what is going on, the two symbols will have different object ids
(look
in Tools...Display Object Info). If they are two symbols for the SAME
object,
you have something that I would call a clear defect and should call
Support.

Detroit

Marcos,

When I have an new object discovered that is in fact a duplicate of an
existing
object, I always check the subnetwork mask of the object. In our
environment
this is usually the cause. If a device gets setup with the wrong mask,
anomilies
show up in NetView in the areas of map placement and re-discovery.

I do have one router that continually re-discovers as a duplicate resource.
All
the masks are set correctly, so this is not always the problem. I plan to
open a
problem with support when I get a chance.

Hope this helps,

Dean Grant
Ahold Information Services

Marcos Pezzutti <pezzutti@BANESPA.COM.BR> on 12/28/99 11:26:34 AM