Re: NV5 netmon problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV5 netmon problem
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:03:20 -0500
It sounds to me like netmon is getting behind and never catching up.
Has anything bad happened to your name resolution lately? Have
you perhaps lost your default community configuration? If you
get nothing in the trace when you say 'netmon -M -1' try turning on
tracing right from the get-go, using the Tivoli context menu to turn it on.
That will stop/start netmon, and you will see the stuff it does at the very
beginning. There will be a lot of 'fixup' records as it compares the
snmp configuration entries to every single object in the database.
Those should whiz by. If they don't, then you might have a name
resolution problem. You should also see it doing a configuration poll,
if you have config polling turned on. Those will go badly if you have
community problems. Also, you might check and see if you recently
discovered a ton of things that don't meet your seedfile criteria, like
stub objects for things you are excluding (non-snmp things, certain
explicit oids, etc.) These things are checked on the daily config poll
to see if they now meet the criteria.

There is also a situation that has recently been identified with hsrp
interfaces. If you remove an hsrp address from the network but
don't tell Netview about it, it can go into a spin on its five-minute
hsrp poll. You should be able to see in the trace if that is happening.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

Chris McBride <ChrisM@RIGROUP.COM>@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU> on 01/10/2000 11:40:54
AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

Sent by:  Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView
      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>