Re: Upgrade from NV/NT 5.1.1 to 5.1.2

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Upgrade from NV/NT 5.1.1 to 5.1.2
From: "Tremblay, David A." <dtremblay@JHANCOCK.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:57:18 -0500
We did and had to back out of 5.1.2 upgrade back in October.   After
spending well over a month trying to get the problems
taken care of from Tivoli Support.

The problems that were introduced with 5.1.2 running on Solaris 2.5.1 (Y2K
patched) were:

1.  A memory creep problem.
2.  We experienced a limitation in the number of  netview maps we could have
opened concurrently.  We used to be able to
have as many as 7 opened but when the problem was introduced, 4 could be
opened.

The problem has since been fixed but we are still running at 5.1.1 with the
e-fixes that Tivoli gave us.   But as of Friday, there
may have been another problem introduced that we didn't realize until we
started loading new MIBs again.   We have not
loaded any new MIBs since the upgrade so this is why we haven't noticed the
problem until last week.

I am in contact with Tivoli now to address the MIB loading problem but I
just wanted to let everyone know that there was
problems with 5.1.1 to 5.1.2 on Solaris or at least in our environment.

David A. Tremblay                               John Hancock Mutual Life
Insurance Co.
Lead Systems Analyst                    Enterprise Systems & Network
Management
                                                                200 Berkley
Street B-5
                                                                Boston, MA