Re: Different Link address in control desk

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Different Link address in control desk
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:43:02 -0500
Occasionally this may mean that one device has taken the
IP address of another. Sometimes it may mean that a card
has been swapped out but the neighboring devices have
old info in their arp caches. Most often it occurs when you have
a mix of ethernet and tokenring on the network, and mac
information comes back in different forms from different sources.
If you get it a lot, on every configuration poll, then it is probably
the last one, and the events can be suppressed by choosing the
'Ignore' option on the netmon daemon configuration question.
I find this a lot.

Hello
    I am frequently getting the following messages in the events screen:

tiv-nv1 reported different Link Address than obtained from
hp03.bcbs-ga.com by SNMP
www2.bcbs-ga.com reported different Link Address than obtained from
hp03.bcbs-ga.com by SNMP
wsr-router1 reported different Link Address than obtained from
hp03.bcbs-ga.com by SNMP

    Can someone tell me what these messages mean?  Are they something to
be concerned about?
    Thanks
    Raymond