Re: Antwort: Re: nvserverd start/end events to tec

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: nvserverd start/end events to tec
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:11:59 -0500
The thing to understand is that the event is internally generated by
Netview with a status of 'CLOSED'. It came into the T/EC that way.
(James, thanks for reminding us.)

In the rulebuilder's guide, in the overview of the architecture of the
event server, it explains how the event server validates and processes
incoming events. On the subject of status,it says:
'An event adapter can also send and event with a status of CLOSED to
indicate that a previously received event of the specified class should
have its status changed to CLOSED; the previously received event to be
closed is the most recent duplicate of the same event description. The
event being sent with a CLOSED status is dropped and not stored in
the event database."

No rules involved here, just default function. I believe this describes
just
what you are seeing. If you want these handled differently, perhaps you
could ADD a rule to handle events of that class (nvserverd) to override
the status and keep them around for a while. The nvserverd events were
coded the way they were because that is the most commonly desired
behavior.

You will see the same behavior for interface/node up/down events, except
that in those cases, since the events are normal netview events, you have
the option of overriding the status sent with the event by changing it in
the
Events configuration tec slot mapping dialog.

Detroit

If the "you" here is meant to be "me", that is "James Shanks", then the
answer
is "No, I could not explain how this works in TEC, that is why I sent you
to the
Tivoli forum where TEC is discussed."
Perhaps some other NV-L reader can.

But NetView 5.1.2 does not  contain any patches or updates to TEC.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Eva-Maria Fettig <efettig@HAITEC.DE> on 02/02/2000 12:08:03 PM

NetView