Re: Problem... discoverying network

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem... discoverying network
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:17:22 -0500
Ok, that's better. It sounds as if you are early in the discovery process,
and
you are not using a seedfile. Netview first discoveres the local subnet and
everything on it. For routers on that subnet, it will also discover subnets
for other
interfaces on that router, but it will not manage them. They will be
'wheat' color
(beige). If you manage those subnets, netview will go further.   You can go
as
far as you like with this method.

If it adds subnets that are not connected to anything, and have nothing in
them,
this may be an intermediate step. Manage it, and something should appear in
it. If it turns from wheat to blue, there was nothing to put in it, and it
was an
intermediate step that because unneccessary. You can delete it. I sometimes
see empty segments in empty subnets during the early stages of discovery.

To speed up the discovery of your network, you should try a seedfile that
contains your routers. Read more about seedfile in the online manuals, or
in the help panel for netmon configuration, or 'man netmon'.

Detroit

Leslie,

i will try to explain more clearly my problem:
My hardware with netview: IBM RISC 6000 with NetView 5.1

I'm trying with netview reach all my network (very huge one!), a backbone,
several others networks below, routers, workstations, etc.
Netview show me, for example,  a network segment, when I try to open this
segment,
it only show me a straight line (pointing to nothing, but I know there's a
network at that point).
Do you understand??
Did it happen to someone before?

Thanks,