NetView monitoring Cat6500...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView monitoring Cat6500...
From: Gord Michaels <gord_michaels@HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:29:18 PST
Hello All.

Env: AIX 4.2.1, NetView 5.1.1

I have several Cisco 6500's in my netowrk. Here is what I would like to
accomplish with NetView:

1. Gauge the amount traffic, in and out, on each port.
2. But more specifically, gauge the amount of traffic, in and out, of each
port which is destined to cross my WAN link.

Now, here is what I know. On the 6500s, each port has mini-rmon. The rmon
counters, etc are in the h/w itself so turing on rmon will not have any
significant performance impact on the switch. But, I think that catching
only the traffic destined for the WAN will involve the switch having to
examine all packets and this WOULD affect performance.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before with Netview? What would be
the best approach?

Any ideas appreciated.

Sincerely,

Gord Michaels.