Re: nv6000/AIX backups

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nv6000/AIX backups
From: Dean Grant <dgrant@AHOLDUSA.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:08:33 -0500
If you use Oracle for the database, there is a product called SQL BackTrack (by
BMC I believe) that can do a hot backup of your database.

We don't use a SQL database though for performance reasons, so we took another
tack as our users want it available as much as possible (which I assume is your
situation as well).  We have some spare disk on our NetView server, so we do a
TAR backup of Netview configuration files and databases every night
disk-to-disk, which is pretty quick. We then bring NetView backup, and we can
then archive the tar file to tape anytime after that. We are down maybe 15
minutes a day.

HTH

Dean

John Haskins <john.haskins@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU> on 02/16/2000 11:49:07 AM