Re: Status Polling

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Status Polling
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:29:24 -0500
There was some discussion here a while back about the generic
Link Up/Down traps, and I have attached Sylvia Koch's append.  So
if you have enabled the link up/down traps on the device, Netview ought
o be reflecting the status changes, even if they are coming in pretty fast.
============
I have invested some time in testing the behaviour of netmon and verified
by analyzing iptrace that netmon indead reacts to unsolicited traps telling
link up/down (generic trap ids 2 and 3):
As soon as netmon receives a link up or link down trap from trapd, sent by
an agent, netmon immediately pings the interface which has been told to be
up or down. Netmon does not wait until the end of the polling interval.
But netmon does not seem to react to any other trap in the same manner.

Sylvia Koch

The test was made with NetView for AIX 5.1.1, AIX 4.2.1 and an AIX based
Workstation with SNMP agent.
================

Detroit

If it is a Cisco device, they send a LinkUp (and LinkDown) trap when an
interface changes state.  You could page/perform other action based on
these
messages.

The other option would be to change the polling interval to a smaller
number
(which is fine until you start getting a large number (> 10) devices) to
detect smaller outages.  We use the 5 minute polling by default and have a
rule setup to detect line bouncing based off the Cisco traps (more than 5
in
60 minutes).

Patrick