off topic: managing flattening, switched networks

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: off topic: managing flattening, switched networks
From: Matt Ashfield <mda@UNB.CA>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:39:58 -0400
Hi All,

Not a specific Netview question, but one that I am hoping to gain some
opinions on. And since there are certainly enough skilled people in this
list, I figure there must be an equal amount of quality opinions.
As the networks I work with flatten from many routed networks, to only 3
switched networks (it's a long process, but we're getting there), the
question of management becomes much larger. No longer is it easy to isolate
where a specific problem is, as one subnet could be spread over a much
larger area than before. What are some things people are doing out there to
manage their switched networks. What type of data are you
collecting/monitoring, and is Netview the only tool you're using (I won't
tell anyone if you're using something else!).
Personally, we're running Netview 5.1.1, AIX 4.3.3, Nways 1.2.3. But we
really haven't been getting much useful info lately other than snmp stats
that we could get without any of this in the first place!

I look forward to any comments/suggestions

Matt Ashfield
mda@unb.ca