Re: Creating symbols for specific computer

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Creating symbols for specific computer
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:06:54 -0500

First you should be sure you can successfully change the symbol to
one of those delivered with Netview. You did not mention the oid_to_sym
file in /usr/OV/conf/C, so I will start there, just in case. The oid_to_sym
will match the oid with a  symbol class and a symbol type. These are
defined in files in /usr/OV/symbols/C. The definitions in these files
reference
bitmaps in /usr/OV/bitmaps/C, as well as fields (optionally) in
/usr/OV/fields/C. After making a change to oid_to_sym I usually find it
best to stop netmon, delete the node, ovtopofix -a, stop all daemons,
start all daemons, and rediscover the node.

If you have made additions to the symbols and bitmaps directories, you
should run ovw  -config (or ovw -verify, I get them mixed up).

Now if you use the same method to use a symbol of your own creation
and it does not work, well, you are beyond me. Maybe someone else
can help. But I wanted to make sure you had covered the fundamentals.

Detroit

Hi all!

I want to see somme specific computers with a new
symbols. Each of this computers has System.sysDescr (
or System.SysObjectID ) set to a specific value.

What have i to do to enable netmon discover those
computers with my new symbol ?

I try to understand how to do so with the Netview
Programmer's Guide and i look into different files in
/usr/OV/symbols/C but i don't see how to work.

Does anybody can help me ?

Best reguards.

Alexis HENRY
Network Manager