Re: location.conf in NV6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: location.conf in NV6
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:17:59 -0500

A location is a location is a location.

That is, there was not a new type of location symbol added to V6 to make
location-sensitive topology work.  So if your cut and paste isn't working, then
I would have to guess that there is probably something wrong with it -- that
what you are adding is not at the same level as the other items in that
location.

I don't really have a clue how to tell you to troubleshoot this.  My only advice
would be to take a small section of one of these failing paste operations, and
do a delete from all submaps instead, and ovstop netmon  Then add the proper
text to locations.conf, ovstart netmon,  let these things get re-discovered, and
see where they get added.   Not what you wanted I know.

Since this is a very new feature, you will probably have to learn how it works
the hard way.   There won't be a lot of users out there with more expertise than
you have.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk> on 03/08/2000 12:34:34 PM

Subject:  [NV-L] location.conf in NV6

I have used location.conf to setup my layout - great idea guys - thanks!

However......
If I then cut and paste routers into my location.conf- defined
Locations, they go into the user plane - bad news!  I thought these
location.conf locations were supposed to be exactly the same as
hand-created ones?

Strange thing is, the first time I did this, the paste worked and my
router was in the app. plane as desired.  I've blitzed the whole
database after ovtopofix'ing didn't help - router paste's still go inthe

User Plane (yes, the router has interfaces such that it should connect
to the networks in the Location).

Please guys - don't tell me this is working as designed!
Thanks, Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565