Re: # of collections and startup times

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: # of collections and startup times
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 05:22:44 -0600
Phillip,

Yes the collections you define affect nvcold startup. It will also affect other
things like snmpCollect or assigning of nodes to MLM's using collections.

It is not so much to do to the number of collections than it is the time it
takes
to resolve them. I have found that certain ways of creating collections are
better
than others.  For example, it is always better to use a regular expression than
list of node names.  Specific nodes in a list are really slow in being evaluated
by nvcold.  Regular expressions are orders of magnitude faster.

I would recommend the following approach to determining the best rule to use
for a
given collection:

1. Determine the time it takes for nvcold to evaluate the collection.  The best
way to do this is with nvUtil.  First do:

     nvUtil g Collection_Name

This will show you the rule used.   Then do this command substituting the
collection rule from above:

     time nvUtil e "Collection_Rule_From_above"

The time (or timex) command will show you how long it takes nvcold to evaluate
the
rule.  Note that you could just run nvUtil l Collection_name, but I think nvcold
caches the members of a collection in memory, so you won't really get a good
measurement.

2. You can try different rules that evaluate to the same set of nodes, to see
which one is faster.  Play with regular expressions rather than a speicified
list.  This is really helpful you have a naming convention in your Network.

3.  Change the rules to in the collection either on the command line with
nvUtil,
or using the collectioned GUI to the rule that is the fastest for that
collection.