Netview Seed File with oid's

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview Seed File with oid's
From: "Jewan, P. (Pritesh)" <PriteshJ@nedcor.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 01:59:50 +0200
Hello People,

We currently have a network with about 550 Cisco routers and 250 Cisco
switches as well a large number of other servers(NT,AIX,SUN etc). The way we
have been doing the discovery in the past was to put the IP addresses of the
device into the seed file and let netmon discover the nodes. This method was
important to us because we wanted to discover the routers using their
loopback addresses as the loopback addresses are tied to names in the DNS
server. However our environment is growing at a rapid pace and as a result
new routers go out in the network and their addresses are sometimes not
reported and as a result are never put into the seedfile.

We are currently investigating other methods of creating a seedfile to
alleviate this problem. The only suitable method I could think of was to use
Cisco OID's for the Cisco devices but then this leaves us with the problem
of the routers been discovered with the first address that netmon finds. The
only thing this helps us with is that we now know that there is a router out
there and can then put it's loopback address into the seedfile, delete the
object and let netmon rediscover it bye the loopback address.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Any ideas/suggestion would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards
Pritesh Jewan
ESM - Technology & Operations Division