Re: Re: NV V5V1 Problem with map and nvevents

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re: NV V5V1 Problem with map and nvevents
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:31:54 -0400

By default things are discovered as managed, except for networks beyond your
first router.  If the addresses/hostnames you put in the seedfile are being
discovered unmanaged, are you sure you haven't turned this off?  Look at your
SNMP Configuration (xnmsnmpconf from the command line or use Options --> SNMP
Comfiguration from the GUI) and look at the little boxes at the very bottom.  Is
the one which says "Discover Node(s) Managed" checked?

As for IP addresses in traps rather than hostnames, that means you have a name
resolution problem, specifically with reverse lookup (IP Address to hostname).
You need to get your DNS working or put these things in an /etc/hosts file and
have that searched first.   The way you do that is operating system dependent.
On AIX for example, you can change the order in the file /etc/netsvc.conf
(create it, if it doesn't exist):

 hosts = local, bind

 James Shanks
 Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Robert Molerio <rjm@panix.com> on 04/04/2000 08:02:52 AM