RE: GEM and NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: GEM and NetView
From: "Boyce, Robert L" <robert.l.boyce@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 11:06:27 -0400
Yes we have gone down this road.  Since our operators are already using GEM
consoles to view the status of our system applications (E-mail systems, NT
Infrastructure, etc...), we wanted to be able to include the network view as
well.  It is a waste of resources to have additional personal to monitor a
separate application like NetView, when GEM should be the main place for
Enterprise Wide Status for systems.

However, since GEM is not network aware and the GEM Service Views are
created statically in the GEM Module Builder and GEM Views are not Dynamic
(like NetView - add a node to the seedfile and it is discovered), this is
not easily done.

We use GEM as an indicator of status for certain "classes" of network
devices (e.g. Hub routers, border routers, infrastructure devices, etc...).
So our GEM view is actually a series of icons that represent several network
devices (e.g. border routers in the southeast). We created custom database
fields in the NetView database to contain this information.  When we add a
new device to the NetView seedfile we also import the custom information,
which will be passed to TEC and then GEM.  Then we created a custom perl
script to format the slot values of events that are forwarded to TEC (it
calls the lcf version of 'wpostemsg').  This script is were we customize the
slot values to contain the added database information and we also set the
slot value "gem=yes" so when TEC receives the event it knows to forwards it
to GEM.  Our NetView rulebase calls this script whenever an event that needs
to go to GEM occurs.

We had two GEM and one NetView TPS contractor assist us with the design and
implementation of this solution.  It is not something that was done in a
short period of time.  We would like to see GEM become more Network aware in
the future.

Good Luck,

Robert Boyce