nvlockdaemon can NetView live without it?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nvlockdaemon can NetView live without it?
From: "Rauwers, Laurens" <rauwers@hitt.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:14:39 +0200
Hello,
Using NV5.1.2 on DEC UNIX

We have re-organized the SNMP agents on our NetView Server. Now we use the
CMU agent as the main agent, and the original DEC agent(snmpd) as a
sub-agent connected via port 16 to the CMU agent(/etc/services file entry
snmp adapted to udp port 16).

The problem is that now the NV installation fails, because NV is
manipulating the (DEC)snmpd which is not on socket 161.
NetView complains of "socket already in use" for socket 161, probably
because it stopped the wrong daemon.

When I continue with the installation the final result is that the nvlockd
cannot be started.
As far as I found out in the manuals the daemon used only by gtmd, which is
not running on our system. So that's why I asked this question.

Is there a way to get a correct installation with this non standard snmpd
configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Laurens Rauwers
HITT