Re: Pings to Unmanaged Devices/Optivity Thrash

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Pings to Unmanaged Devices/Optivity Thrash
From: "David E. Dimond" <dimond@allina.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:34:01 -0500

Paul Sandler wrote:

> David,
>
> Well said.  I have inserted the code to start ExpandedView into the
> right click mini-menu.  Works great.  I second the motion to delete as
> much of the daemons from Optivity as you can.
>
> As an aside, there was a great posting a few months ago re: Optivity
> 8.1.1 patches to get it to work on AIX 4.3.  You must make these patches
> if you even want Optivity to load.
>
> Paul

Thanks for sharing this, Paul.  Absolutely agree about the right-
click menu.  Pretty slick - and the way it should have been
integrated in the first place.

I'm going to have to dig up the information inre 8.1.1 on AIX 4.3.3.
I hacked the install script to get around the load problem, but
didn't want to bite off on dealing with all the library issues and
so went back to 4.2.1 on my new v6 test box.  And then discovered
that even with 4.2.1, Optivity 8.1.1 won't work with Netview
v6.  No surprise, really, and I can't fault Nortel on this one
as they never claimed support for NV v6 as it didn't then exist.

I suspect that there is enough difference in NV's v6 database
that the sync procedure over to Raima just dies, but I haven't
had the time to dig into it.  And even though ECC was slightly
useful, as long as I can get ExpandedView and OmniView functional
I don't really care about the rest.

But if I can indeed get the few pieces of 8.1.1 I need running - sans
Optivity database - on 4.3.3 & v6 it would certainly get the OS-cops
down the hall off my back because 4.2.1 is about to go out of
support.

Thanks again!

Dave