Re: Version 2 versus Version 1 MIBs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Version 2 versus Version 1 MIBs
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:37:16 -0400

The answer is that the V1 mibloader/browser is integrated with the rest of the
NetView product and the V2 loader/browser is not.  If you use the dialog to
configure snmpCollect for example, you will be connected to the SNMP V1 browser
in NetView and it will easily copy the MIB values for you.  If you want to use
something from the V2 browser, you have to manually edit the snmpCollect.conf
yourself and add it.  Ditto for the ruleset editor and checking or setting MIB
values with it.    If you get an unformatted trap, trapd will try to resolve the
OID in the V1 MIB database but not the V2.  And so it goes.

If all you are doing is using the browser and don't mind using the V2 rather
than V1, there is little difference.

Usually people have trouble with the V2 MIBs not the V1 versions.  T V2 and V1
MIB loaders in NetView have completely different parsers, because V2 has more
detailed constructs than V1, so they react differently to the same line in the
same MIB, which is why, for example the V1 loader requires a space between
"OCTET STRING and (SIZE(6 | 10)" and V2 can parse "OCTET STRING(SIZE(6 | 10)"
without difficulty.  We looked at replacing the V1 parser with the V2 one , but
that would mean rewriting every routine which called it as well, so that idea
was abandoned.

The thing to remember here is that we are compiling MIBs, and just like code
compilers, some are more sensitive to certain kinds of errors than others.
Often the easiest thing to do is just to change the source so that the
particular compiler you are using is happy.  So too with the MIB compilers.
Over time the ones in Netview are evolving to be more forgiving and robust,  but
in the meantime, you will probably have to modify the MIB if you have problems.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

fratto@us.ibm.com on 04/27/2000 11:15:11 AM