RE: [Re: NV-L] Root cause analysis in Version 6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [Re: NV-L] Root cause analysis in Version 6
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:36:01 -0400

Well, I have not seen TFNC, only read about it. This function is right on
the
server, rather than on a separate box, and the resulting events are seen
right at the main events display rather than at the T/EC. It is also
different in
that it does not have to discover and load the relationships of the
topology.
Instead, it relies on the results of regular pinging.If it cannot ping any
router
interface on a subnet, it discards failing pings (or does not ping, I'm not
sure)
for other nodes on that subnet and marks it unreachable. It distingishes
between a router that is down, and a router that is unreachable because
some other router is down between it and the server. You don't get any
events about things that are simply unreachable.

If you have lots of nodes on the subnets, you will greatly reduce the
events
generated. If your discovery only includes the routers, you have already
reduced the events, and the percentage will be less, but the result is the
same: you don't get down events for remote routers if the cause is a
down interface on a local router.  Some new algorithms are involved, and
polling sequences are changed on the fly to chase down related outages.

Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

"Boyce, Robert L" <robert.l.boyce@lmco.com>@tkg.com on 04/27/2000 10:23:58
AM