Re: MLM floods NetView with interface up traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM floods NetView with interface up traps
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 16:12:09 -0400

As far as I know, what you are describing is normal behavior.  When an MLM is
rebooted, it starts from ground zero and sends status traps on all the nodes it
monitors to NetView.  That's what it is supposed to do.  It doesn't have a
topology database like netmon does to store this information in, so it sends a
level-set to netmon.  It has no idea what happened to the nodes it monitor when
it is down, whether netmon was able to take over the polling successfully or
not, so it has to start somewhere.  Are you rebooting all your MLMs at once or
something?  If not, then the question becomes, why have MLMs monitor status in
the first place if you don't want them to send the traps?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

Peter Cho <chop@tdbank.ca> on 05/05/2000 02:03:12 PM