Re: Cisco' s label is not correct

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco' s label is not correct
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 21:57:10 -0400

You can force the discovery of a node by a particular interface by
putting that interface in the seedfile, deleting it, and rediscovering. The
node will be labeled by the interface it is found by. Alternatively, it
will be labeled with the name that that address resolves to. In fact,
you could put the same name in the hosts file for every address on
the device, and then it would not matter which interface it was found by,
since all would result in the same label. That's all it is, a label. The
'primary' address, ie the one it was found by, does become significant
when you are dealing with non-default community strings or other functions
within Netview that then resolve that name back to an address. The reason
things get discovered by their serial interfaces is that that is usually
the
one closest to Netview. The seedfile can force discovery by another
address.

Detroit

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on

Dimitri.Setti@fccrt.it@tkg.com on 05/11/2000 09:35:26 AM