Re: ovstop does not complete

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovstop does not complete
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:03:21 -0400

Huh?  I don't think I understood what you said in that re-create scenario.  You
leave the GUI up and then you issue ovstop, and it doesn't complete for a couple
of days?   And you just noticed that?  Why did you leave the GUI up?  What are
you trying to do that requires such a strange scenario?   And why would you not
notice in 10 or 15 minutes that ovstop did not complete?

I am not certain that anyone can troubleshoot this at this time.  But for
certain you should be taking down your GUIs before you use ovstop.  And if you
want help with anything this weird then you need to open a ticket to Support.
The only place I can think to look for clues would be the nettl logs at this
point.

But ovstop (like ovstart and ovstatus) are commands to ovspmd.  And he is the
one who carries them out.  If this happens again, I would do a netstat -a and
see if there are socket problems, because if ovspmd is losing connection to
other processes, then there is likely some more serious problems on the box.  We
have Version 6 running on dozens of boxes and have for months now, and no one
has ever seen anything like this.  And so far as I know, there were no  changes
to ovspmd nor pmd in Version 6.

What did you do to clean up?  Did you kill all the processes or try another
ovstop?  Did you read about daemon problems in the Diagnosis Guide?  You might
want to restart the daemons and run a reset_ci  before continuing.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX and NT) L3 Support

"Christo Burger" <christob@absa.co.za> on 06/07/2000 10:44:02 AM