AW: problem with router cisco 2514

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: AW: problem with router cisco 2514
From: FITZINGER Richard <richard.fitzinger@it-austria.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:58:36 +0200
hi!

if your router is configured for CDP Netview V6 will not question for the
ARP table. but what Netview does in ANY case is to question your
IpNetMediaTable (to be exact: four variables, each for every instance). it
asks for it ONCE every automatic scheduled "config poll" or "new node poll".
if you "demand poll" via the menu function or via command-line
"nmdemandpoll" Netview will ask for that table TWICE (because its kind of a
combination of "demand poll" and "config poll").

i guess your problem is a large ipNetToMedia table. check it with your MIB
browser.

what you can do now is:
- avoid manual "demand poll" as far as possible
- set "config poll" and "new node poll" via "options -> SNMP configuration"
to a large interval. i think, once netview has discovered your router you
should not need to schedule "demand poll" or "config poll" until you change
the router's config.

by the way: i have seen Cisco routers going up to 99 % CPU by demand polling
them. i think it is not proven that the router then has a real problem.
maybe it is using its CPU for SNMP because the ressources are just there?

regards, richard

Richard Fitzinger

INFORMATIONS-TECHNOLOGIE-AUSTRIA GMBH
Netzwerk-Management