Re: Netview Database Problem.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Database Problem.
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:34:41 +0000
"Jewan, P. (Pritesh)" wrote:

> After the conversion we tar'ed the database directory and restored on
> our production machine, ran the reset_ci and restarted the daemons and

Did you use tar to restore it?  If so, that *might* be the start of the
problem.  The value_info file is a sparse file.  Backing it up with tar
is OK, but tar doesn't handle sparse files during a restore.  You should
use "pax -rpe" to restore.  But that may or may not have any bearing on
the problem at hand.

> Q1) Can anyone tell me what the above file is for and why the one is
> larger that the other, when box machines are configured exactly
>
>       the same ?

Probably all the "stubs" account for that space.

> Q2) Are there any implication on copying the new format database from
> one machine and restoring on another machine or should I have
>
>       run the nvTurboDatabase command separately on both of my
> machines ?

You should have run nvTurboDatabase on both machines, probably.  Do they
both see the network the same way (same segment,  SNMP community names
the same)?   If the answer to that is no,  copying the database from one
to the other is probably OK.   If they see the network much differently,
it is not wise to do this copy.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management