Re: Database connection lost

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Database connection lost
From: Gareth_Holl@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:39:04 -0400

A small correction to James' reply, the ovtopofix option -a should generally
should be used when you have multiple maps that contain different objects and
the -A option for when you only have one map - this is opposite to how it is
written in James' previous reply.

Other than that, I would agree with James in that running the ovwdbdmap command
on a database that has been converted to the NDBM format (using nvTurboDatabase
or dbmcompress) will probably result in corruption. You could try using
ovtopofix to fix any database corruption and/or you could try backing out of the
NDBM format by using the dbmcompress utility on your databases with no options
specified (see page 52 of the NetView 5.1 Release Notes - would recommend you
speak to Support for further advise here). But your best bet would be to restore
from a backup or completely re-discover. It is recommended that you always make
a backup before working on the databases.

"I used nvTurboDb speed (and space) but after syncronize the file grows
again." Which file grows ? This may suggest that the nvTurboDatabase command did
not complete the conversion successfully. The process of converting your
databases by using nvTurboDatabase will actually backup your databases and thus
it is expected that you have space available in your /usr file system for this
process - otherwise corruption may result. Using the ovwdbdmap command on a NDBM
formatted database would not of helped matters and should never be used from my
understanding.

To convert the standard NetView databases to NDBM format:
1. Backup you databases.
2. Run the ovmapcount -a and ovtopofix -A commands to cleanup inconsistencies
that may already exist.
3. Ensure adequate space in /usr for the database backups that will be performed
by the nvTurboDatabase utility.
4. Enter /usr/OV/service/nvTurboDatabase space
5. Enter /usr/OV/service/nvTurboDatabase speed
6. Enter ovw &, to start the NetView GUI.  Note:  DO NOT start netmon at this
time.
Wait for the topology and object databases to sync up with each other.
This step may take longer than usual but it is an important part of the process.
7. Enter ovstart netmon, to start the netmon daemon.

For further advise, you would probably be best to call Support as James has
suggested.

Gareth Holl
Level 2 Support Engineer

James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM on 07/03/2000 09:40:02 AM