Re: set hostname by SNMP?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: set hostname by SNMP?
From: Gareth_Holl@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:13:19 -0400

Yes, if the router or remote host is configured to allow this AND you use the
correct community name as defined in the router or remote host's SNMP
configuration.

>From the MIB Browser, use the system.sysName MIB variable with a "MIB Instance"
of 0, specify the readWrite "Community Name", fill in the "SNMP Set Value" field
with your new hostname, and you should be able to "Set" the hostname. I have
never done this for a router but I have successfully done this on a remote unix
server.

I hope this helps,

Gareth Holl
Level 2 NetView Support

Rudi_Schulkowski@krzn.de on 07/21/2000 04:25:25 AM

To:   nv-l@tkg.com
cc:    (bcc: Gareth Holl/Tivoli Systems)
Subject:  [NV-L] set hostname by SNMP?

Hi all.
Do I have the possibility to set hostname on a router or server by SNMP-set
in MIB-Browser?
We use netview 6.0 on AIX 4.3.3.
Thanks in advance.