Réf. : Re: Backup/restore of NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Réf. : Re: Backup/restore of NetView
From: alexis.henry@bnpparibas.com
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 10:03:14 +0200
What i fear the most ( in addition to James)  if you use a tape to install
Netview is that the Aix odm (the system object database) will know nothing about
Netview ie you will not use smitty nv6000 anymore.

Only my two cents.

Alexis Henry
Banque Nationale de Paris.

Internet

James_Shanks@tivoli.com on 08/08/2000 22:35

Veuillez répondre à nv-l@tkg.com

Pour :    nv-l
cc :
ccc : Alexis Henry
Objet :   Re: [NV-L] Backup/restore of NetView

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (ci-après le "message") sont établis à
l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels. Si vous
recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le détruire et d'en avertir
immédiatement l'expéditeur.

Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion
ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation
expresse.

L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'intégrité de ce message, BNP PARIBAS
(et ses filiales) décline(nt) toute responsabilité au titre de ce message, dans
l'hypothèse où il aurait été modifié.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are intended solely for the
addressees and are confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.

Any use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either
whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.

The internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and
its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message if
modified.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haven't tried it.  I would guess that the apps would run fine, but that you will
have a real problem with Framework and NetView. If you install the Framework
manually, and then  use restore for NetView, your new Framework will not know
NetView is installed, because he (the Framework) did not do it.  He as a
database too, you know.

You could probably manually update that database if you knew how, and if you
knew what files to lay down (there are markers kept of each product
installation) but I don't know what those are.

I don't know who much time you would save but it might be wiser to install the
NetView and the NetView 5.1.2 patch manually as well, and then add your other
NetView-related apps, since I think those just add things in files and no
database knows about them (but I don't know that for a fact).

Oftentimes, you can upgrade AIX with your apps still in place.  Have you looked
at that?  If so, then perhaps you could do a restore of the old operating system
on the new box, and then just upgrade AIX.

 Good luck

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT