Re: Réf. : [NV-L] Réf. : [NV-L] Re: Réf. : [NV-L] Global Variable Names

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Réf. : [NV-L] Réf. : [NV-L] Re: Réf. : [NV-L] Global Variable Names
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:14:01 +0930
James

I ended up writing a daemon and calling it using an in-line action. This
resolved my problem.
The bulk of my complexity comes not from the logic of my requirements but from
trying to write an efficient rule in line with your programming recommendations
posted some time earlier on this area. I am trying to avoid interrogating
database collections early in my rule before weeding out unwanted events. If I
interrogate the database collections first then it all becomes much simpler to
code but presumably at the cost of rule processing overhead.

I agree completely with you regarding the bandwidth issue - it is a real
problem. Unfortunately the suits in Head Office don't always see the cost
benefit in giving us backroom tech's the bandwidth we need to do our job, far
better to spend money on glossy brochures and executive dining rooms and the
like. (PS : If you don't hear from me again one of them has read this post!)

Cheers - Gavin

>>> <James_Shanks@tivoli.com> 09/08/2000 22:59:39 >>>

Gavin -

You are correct.  The ruleset editor is designed for non-programmers.  If you
want to program we have the In-line action and the action node.   Heck, you
could just write your own trap reception daemon which connects to trapd (we have
an example in /usr/OV/prg_samples) and do what you like after that, bypassing
nvcorrd and rulesets all together.   That is your ultimate solution.

Life would not be simpler if the editor allowed C-programming -- that would mean
that things would be too complicated for the average user.   If your rule is so
complex that you cannot visualize it on the screen, then you shouldn't be using
a rule.  That way leads to performance problems.  Also, we have talked about
your connection to the server -- it sounds way too slow for you to be trying to
do complicated X-windows operations.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT