Re: Ruleset using RESOLVE and FORWARD

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset using RESOLVE and FORWARD
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:37:24 -0400

You may want to take a good look at Michael Siebold's response on how to avoid
your problem all together, but meanwhile I will answer your questions about
rulesets and TEC.

The RESOLVE mechanism is unique to NetView.  The way it works is that a special
flag is added to the event which nvevents (the event window process) reads when
the event arrives.  Then nvevents removes all matching events from the event
display.    TEC has no such code, so a RESOLVE will not remove an event from the
TEC console.  You must code TEC rules in TEC to do that.  The only decision you
can make in NetView with regard to TEC is to send or not to send the event, and
that is t.  And you can alter the variable content using the  facilities in
trapd.conf, of course.   But you cannot make TEC drop an event from his console
unless you make modifications to TEC.

You could reverse the logic in sampcorrIuId.rs and use Reset-on-Match and
Forward rather than Pass-on-Match and Resolve to acomplish the same thing.  The
Reset would send along only those events which did not get a matching Interface
Up in the time allowed.

An no, you cannot "cascade" rulesets.  You have to combine them into one large
ruleset when it comes to TEC.  One technique that you could do however, is to
intercept traps from NetView or other sources wit one ruleset, and kick off a
script to send a new trap, using snmptrap, which contains just what you want to
go to TEC, and then have your TEC ruleset forward just your special trap and
ignore the others.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT