RE: Netmon cache

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netmon cache
From: Gareth_Holl@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:55:06 -0400

This has nothing to do with any netmon cache - I think James Shanks has
commented on the non-existence of a netmon cache and refers to the netmon
pinglists as the only similar mechanism (going by my memory only) ?

The -Q option allows you to set the number of simultaneous netmon pingers. The
default is 16 pingers. I believe the NetView Performance group have tested up 32
netmon pingers and thus it may not be recommended you go beyond this. You would
want to have a need and adequate resources before considering increasing the
number of pingers above the default. If you look at a netmon.trace, you will
usually see netmon pumping out a group of pings together and it will usually be
the same as the number pingers that netmon has been configured to use (but I'm
not 100% sure that it will always be the same).

An example of where you might have a need to increase the number of netmon
pingers is if you have an aggressive status polling interval. Anything below 5
minutes could be considered aggressive. Or maybe you have NetView monitoring a
lot of devices.

Hope this helps,

Gareth Holl
Software Engineer
Olympics Advocate
gholl@tivoli.com

Tivoli Systems / IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park,  NC  27703.    1-800-TIVOLI-8

"Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@usaa.com> on 09/06/2000 06:39:45 PM