Re: Rulesets (was Re: RE: NV-L Digest - 05 Sep 2000)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Rulesets (was Re: RE: NV-L Digest - 05 Sep 2000)
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:54:05 -0400

And Ray, I don't trust that Linux emulator you are using, either. Remember
how the titlebar did not always match the ruleset you were editing?

Detroit

James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM@tkg.com on 09/06/2000 05:47:12 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:
Subject:  Rulesets (was Re: [NV-L] RE: NV-L Digest - 05 Sep 2000)

Ray -
You've got me.  If you are root when you run the ruleset editor, then your
changes should be saved.  If you are not root when you start the editor, it
should pop up a message saying that you don't have update authority to
/usr/OV/conf/rulesets.

Next time, cd to that directory in another open window while you run the
editor
and do a File --> Save before you exit.
The rulesets owned by bin:bin are the ones we shipped -- all our
executables are
originally owned by bin:bin. Once you change them, they should be owned by
root.
Do you see this happening or not?

Also, the .BAK files are backup copies of the rulesets you edit.  They are
created when you open a ruleset for editing in case you change your mind
and
cancel all your changes.  So if you ever want to go back to a previous
version
even after you have saved a new one, it is still there in the .BAK file and
you
can just rename it.   When you open a ruleset for editing, in addition to
the
.BAK copy being made or replaced,  a temp copy called
<rulesetname>.<random_suffix> will b created.  This will change as you add
new
parts to your open ruleset and use "Save".  When you exit using the
pull-down,
the temp copy replaces the open copy, which is then deleted.  If you keep a
window open while you edit, you should be able to see and verify that all
of
this happens.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support