RE: When is a node a router for NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: When is a node a router for NetView
From: Mike_Pearson@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 07:29:15 -0400

For a device to considered a router it must have two or more interfaces and have
forwarding turned on.
It could also be shown as a gateway if the G flag is turned on in the
oid_to_type for its sysobjectid.

"Rauwers, Laurens" <rauwers@hitt.nl> on 09/18/2000 03:20:34 AM

To:   "'IBM NetView Discussion'" <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:    (bcc: Mike Pearson/Tivoli Systems)
Subject:  RE: [NV-L] When is a node a router for NetView

Bernard,

Thanks for your reply.

The value of that MIB item (ipForwarding) is on our machine notForwarding ,
so according to your
reply the node is not a router.
However NetView says it is.
My conclusion is that there must be other (or more) conditions which
determine the type of the node.
The node is connected to two FDDI lan's and one normal lan(hme0).
So my question still exists: what brings NetView to the conclusion that it
is a Router?

Laurens Rauwers

HITT, Holland Institute of Traffic Technology B.V.
P.O. Box 717, 7300 AS Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Oude Apeldoornseweg 41-45, Bldg Y, 7333 NR Apeldoorn, The Netherlands

Phone:              +31 55 543 2588
Fax:                +31 55 543 2553
E-mail:             rauwers@hitt.nl