Re: Antwort: Re: Netview 6.0.1 on Framework 3.7

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Netview 6.0.1 on Framework 3.7
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:11:54 -0400
You addressed this note to me though I did not respond originally.  That
was Bill Jameson of Verification.  Here is my view.

The Framework people do not check to see if all the apps are ready when
they release.  You would have the same issue with TEC 3.7 as you do here.
It just went to manufacturing this week, so it has not been tested with
NetView yet.   In point of fact there is no reason for you to have
installed 3.7 Framework so soon.  Your marketing rep should have checked
with you and then advised you to install 3.6.3 or some other release that
was already tested with all other Tivoli apps before selling you 3.7, which
is so new that it was not in the field when NetView 6.0 nor 6.0.1 was in
Verification.  So it is no our fault.

We will be testing 3.7 Framework and 3.7 TEC during our regular maintenance
cycle,  which means that we should be certain that we can support these
newer versions by the end of November.  If you have to be on 3.7 at this
time, then you have at least two choices.  First, you can install a
separate TMR on the NetView box at 3.6.3 and connect it to your 3.7.  Lots
of folks run this way anyway.  Or you can decide to be a pioneer and try
installing the NetView Framework patch, which ships with the product, on
3.7.  Technically, I can think of no reason why it won't work if you can
get it to install.  It just adds NetView menus and resources to the
Framework.

I'm am sorry you are in this predicament but this sort of issue has been a
standard one in the software industry since I started 20 years ago.
One often has to stay back on a less-than-newest level of software until
all the apps can guarantee support of the newer level.

Feel free to open a problem to Support if you want more help.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

efettig@haitec.de on 10/05/2000 10:30:51 AM