Demand Poll SNMP Timeouts

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Demand Poll SNMP Timeouts
From: lesdickert@nsimail.com
Date: 12 Oct 2000 05:17:04 -0700
Running NetView 6.0.1 under AIX 4.3.2:

Whenever I do a Demand Poll of routers that
NetView has discovered and found to be routers,
the SNMP portion of the Demand Poll times out.
I can do SNMP queries of those routers from the
command line just fine.  I didn't think the timeout
value in the SNMP configuration was an SNMP timeout,
but as a try I changed one of the timeout values on
a router to 60 seconds, but still got Demand Poll
SNMP timeouts.

Main reason for my doing Demand Polls is to prod
NetView into realizing that a node it has discovered
is really a router.

Two questions:

1.  Why am I getting these Demand Poll SNMP timeouts
    and is there anything I can do about it?

2.  What SNMP queries is the Demand Poll doing?  If I
    knew I could simulate them at the command line and
    be sure the router responds correctly.

Thanks,

Les Dickert

Get personalized e-mail and a web address or your
own free e-mail at http://www.networksolutions.com.