Re: Réf. : Re: Netmon.trace errors

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Réf. : Re: Netmon.trace errors
From: "Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:51:31 -0400
I've been trying to make some sense of this thread and have failed. I
do want to clarify a couple of things, however.

1) The message in netmon.trace:
/usr/OV/bin/nmcheckconf: ERROR: LAN interface "Name" not UP and RUNNING.
**** Warnings from /usr/OV/bin/nmcheckconf configuration check script
is the result of an AIX problem and can generally be ignored. It happens
in AIX 4.3. There is a report that at bos.net.tcp.client 4.3.3.20 this
can cause netmon to fail to start, but I have not seen that to be the
case, and neither have you, apparently, if it goes on to load the
seedfile.

2) Adding nodes to the seedfile and issuing 'netmon -y' not causing
immediate discovery:
Well sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't get around to it for
a few minutes. And sometimes it discovers them, but not completely
enough to promote a router to the top map, because snmp queries fail.
So watch the events display to see the Node added event, or use locate
to search for it at a lower level. I usually stop/start netmon if
I am in a hurry.

3) If the node is discovered but is only a generic node at the segment
level, and you have configured the correct community string in the
alternates file, then you may have this libary problem that Les Dickert
refers to. You could tell for sure if you try a demandpoll on the
node but the snmp section of the poll fails. HOWEVER, my 6.01 system
(at AIX 4.3.3 ML 4) has no such library on it, so I'm not sure what
the efix actually is, and I see no open APARs referring to such a
problem.

I hope this helps.

Detroit

alexis.henry@bnpparibas.com@tkg.com on 10/18/2000 03:27:25 AM