oracle and snmp

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: oracle and snmp
From: Robert Collins <RobertC@Epylon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:46:06 -0700
Hello,

    I bumped into this (attached below) looking for some way to get Oracle
agent to work.
Period.  It looks like you are well-grounded with using Oracle's agent, I was
hoping you
wouldn't mind giving me a couple pointers.
    I have UCD snmp installed.  I can get it up and responding on either port
1161 or 161,
just launching it in the start_peer script with '-p port' as necessary.  It
responds, even
quite quickly, using ucd's snmpget utility.
    Kill that process, run lstrctl dbsnmp_start, and dbsnmp launches fine.  But
now here's
the wierd part, try to snmpget an Oracle OID (the number, since I need 50
different MIBs to
use oracle's .v1 mibs) -- either ucd snmp gets it and responds it doesn't have
that OID, or
'timeout connecting to host'... my snmp community is set correctly, and my
error logs don't
show any errors launching/running dbsnmp.

    It looks like, according to your email, I still need snmpdx running (even
without the
mibiisa or ucd's snmpd) for dbsnmp to get the requests.  Am I reading that
right?  Do I need
to start ucd's snmp under snmpdx?

Thanks in advance,
ciao,