Re: Traps coming from 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Traps coming from 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1
From: "Mark van Kerkwyk" <mark@vk.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:39:25 +0000
Hi James, confused ? Me too.
     I have a perl script which runs on each event whish reads trapd.conf,
matches the enterprise, generic and specific values and then formats the
alert message in the appropriate way based on the values passed through to
the shell

All my traps seem to come in as 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1

NVATTR_8=0
NVATTR_4=974485516 1027
NVATTR_5=openview
NVATTR_6=3
NVATTR_7=N
NVATTR_1=2
NVATTR_2=210.9.8.10
NVATTR_3=Node Up.
NVE=1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1
NVG=6
NVA=210.9.8.10
NVC=publicc
NVT=2000/18/11 05:25:16
NVS=58916864

Netview normally matches these traps and they end up in the console as
correct entries (eg Node Down)

Here is the trapd.conf entry for 58916864
IBM_NVNUP_EV {1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3} 6 58916864 N 0 0 "Status Events"
$3

Maybe nvevents somehow matches the string with the trailing 1.

I also end up with garbage chars on the end of the trap community string
also, see the "c" on the end of public ?

Do you think I should just do a global replace and add the trailing 1 to
1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3 into trapd.conf ??

Thanks

Mark

Here is an extract of what the script does.

# Read in shell environment and make it available to perl environment
for (keys %ENV)
{
    $exec="\$$_=\$ENV{$_};";
    eval($exec);
}

# Category Config
# Each entry can have more than one contact number, each seperated
# by a blank space and complete string must be enclosed within double
quotes.
# For example...

# The following section extracts the Event message text and reformats the
it to work within this script.

if ( $NVG != "6" )
{
@VAR=split(/\./,$NVE);
$NVE=join('.',@VAR[0],@VAR[1],@VAR[2],@VAR[3],@VAR[4],@VAR[5],@VAR[6]);
}

$line="";
open(F,"/usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf");
while (<F>)
{
    if (m/\{$NVE\} $NVG $NVS /o) {
        $line=<F>;
        break;
    }
}
close(F);
if ($line eq "")
{
    print "FAILURE:{$NVE $NVG $NVS} Not Found\n";
}
else
{
    print "SUCCESS:{$NVE $NVG $NVS} Found\n";
}

# Substitute all the $A,$E,$G,$S etc to the format which they appear in the
environment
# eg. $E should map to $NVE, $1 should map $NVATTR_1

# Convert $T to $NVT
$line=~s/(\$T)/$NVT/g;
# Convert $S to $NVS
$line=~s/(\$S)/$NVS/g;
# Convert $E to $NVE
$line=~s/(\$E)/$NVE/g;
# Convert $G to $NVG
$line=~s/(\$G)/$NVG/g;
# Convert $C to $NVC
$line=~s/(\$C)/$NVC/g;
# Convert $A to $NVA
$line=~s/(\$A)/$NVA/g;
# Convert all $1,$2 etc to $NVATTR_1,$NVATTR_2 etc...
$line=~s/(\$\d)/\$NVATTR_$1/g;
$line=~s/(\_\$)/_/g;
$line=~s/\$(\w+)/${$1}/g;

# Store complete message in this var for emailing as length won't matter,
and carriage returns are normally better have for email.
$longeventmessage=$line;

                    James_Shanks@

                    tivoli.com           To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tk        Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Traps coming
from 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1
                    g.com

                    17/11/2000

                    04:48 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Well, now I am very confused.  The situation you described did exist on NT
and we took an APAR to fix it  but we did so by copying the code that
already existed in the UNIX version, including Solaris.   So there must be
something else amiss here than  what you say.  netmon on UNIX sends most
NetView traps with the trailing 1 on the end of 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1 and yet
trapd.conf has always just said 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.  But if this were a
problem on Solaris then almost all NetView traps would end up being "no
format found" or some such.   And I have several Solaris boxes (all at
5.1.3 or 6.01. of course) so I can see that is not the case.  I don't know
what to say  now, Mark.   I just did " event -e NDWN_EV -h james1" to
prove it.   How did you arrive at the conclusion that this was not working
correctly?  What symptoms are you seeing?

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Mark van Kerkwyk" <mark@vk.net> on 11/18/2000 01:45:49 AM

Sorry, I screwed up, this box is running 5.11 on Solaris 2.6

                    James_Shanks@
                    tivoli.com           To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    owner-nv-l@tk        Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Traps
coming from 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1
                    g.com

                    17/11/2000
                    14:18
                    Please
                    respond to
                    IBM NetView
                    Discussion

What version and level of NetView are you using?

"Mark van Kerkwyk" <mark@vk.net> on 11/17/2000 10:56:36 PM